Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Leg Warmers

So after freezing my legs off for the first few weeks of winter, I was finally able to get started on some leg warmers for myself! I had to wait until the Christmas holidays because I had so many projects that needed completion before Christmas. So on Boxing Day (December 26), I casted on my yarns...


I used the pattern found in Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson. So I trekked over to Romni Wools and found the needed yarn. My Cascade 220 was a fantastic red colour that provides an accidental irregular self-striping (which I love). And the Madil Yarns Kid Seta gives it a fuzzy look and feel (and takes away the itchiness of wool!).



Because the cast on would have required very short needles (and I'm really not into using four double pointed at this point), I decided to use Magic Loop technique. This is a GREAT technique if you have long circular needles (for anyone on a budget, I really recommend the Denise Interchangeable set - I have the pink set).

But because of my Magic Loop usage, you can see some "laddering" in the right leg warmer in the photo above. But it didn't bother me really because the leg warmers are for me and once on your legs, the laddering is neither noticeable nor visible.

I bought the recommended two skeins of each yarn and I still have lots left, so I'm thinking of making up a set of wrist warmers to match. I won't be doing the spiral ribbed pattern in Last Minute Knitted Gifts (that's for some other yarn I have in my stash). So I just need to figure out my gauge and how long I want them and then start knitting! I'll probably start them from the top, make a thumb hole and then decide as I knit how long I want them to be.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: